Bianchi is the world’s oldest bicycle-making company still in existence, founded by Eduardo Bianchi in 1885, Milan, Italy. They pioneered the use of equal-sized wheels with pneumatic rubber tires in 1885, in addition to bicycles it produced motorcycles from 1897 to 1967. In 1955 the joint-venture Autobianchi was created together with Fiat and Pirelli for the manufacturing of cars – Autobianchi was subsequently sold to Fiat in 1969. However, Bianchi was a famous sponsor of Fausto Coppi. Angelo Fausto Copp was an Italian cyclist, the dominant international cyclist of the years each side of the Second World War. His successes earned him the title Il Campionissimo, or champion of champions. He was an all-round racing cyclist: he excelled in both climbing and time trialing, and was also a great sprinter. He won the Giro d'Italia five times (1940, 1947, 1949, 1952, 1953), the Tour de France twice (1949 and 1952), and the World Championship in 1953. Other notable results include winning the Giro di Lombardia five times, the Milan–San Remo three times, as well as wins at Paris–Roubaix and La Flèche Wallonne and setting the hour record (45.798 km) in 1942.
This Bianchi Campione del mondo Racing Bicycle dates from 1954. Recently restored back to riding condition with New Celeste paint, but still retaining the original chrome plating to the lugs and components. Early Campagnolo Gran Sport derailleurs with Magistroni 46/49 Road Racing chainset. Rebuilt wheels with original Bianchi steel hubs with new 700c rims and Schwalbe tyres. Universal brakes, Ambrosio handlebars and stem. Bianchi bottom bracket and saddle post bolt. Brooks cutaway leather saddle. Fitted with the rare Campagnolo integrated ‘umbrella’ pump clips.